Sunday, May 1, 2011

Done with Lab D!

After a long semester has come to the end, I am proud to say I have grown. I finished my final lab on Wednesday April 20th. This journey has not been easy, but it has been very rewarding. Before I get into my reflection for Lab D I would like to thank everyone involved in this class this semester, Professor Yang especially. I have learned a great deal from him and so much from the TA's and other students. Thank you for being available for help and inspiring me with new ideas to use in my lessons.













Now on to Zumba!! Take a look here at the video of my lesson:





After watching my videos and completing the Time Coding form, I see I still have some work to do. Although students got more than %50 activity, they were still being instructed for too long and had waiting periods. With more planning and practice I believe I can adjust my lessons to make things more efficient.

Regarding the C-9 form, there are some points that I missed or didn't quite cover thoroughly enough.I should have gone over safety a bit more instead of just reminding students to be aware of their space. I had a good instant activity that got students moving, and after bringing them in I successfully introduced myself. I missed out on checking for understanding with students after the demonstration, and also need to work on my feedback. I give feedback but very rarely is it congruent feedback. I encourage students and tell them they are doing a good job, but not specifically enough to students and I don't tell them exactly what they are doing a good job at. To see a detailed transcript of the lesson click here. This is one area I still need to grow in. I also had to face some tech challenges in this lesson. I had a nice powerpoint to show the class, but couldn't get it hooked up to the projector so it was only shown on the small screen of my lap top. This visual aid could have helped me in gaining more points on the C-9. One thing that surprised me while watching this video was my confidence. Usually I am very energetic and confident in my lessons and within class. I have to admit for this lab D I was very nervous. This was one subject I knew almost nothing about and was not familiar with. I knew a lot was riding on this final lab and I believe my nerves got to me a bit. But once again this is a learning experience, and although I didn't do as well as I would have wanted, I was exposed to teaching new skills in a new environment. I will only learn by doing and I'm very glad to have had the experience here at SUNY Cortland to better myself.

To see my content development form click here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment