Monday, February 7, 2011

Lab A2- Forearm Pass

Jumping into teaching was exhilarating and nerve-racking at the same time. I came into class pretty prepared for what I was going to teach, and trying to remember specific skills we discussed while talking about pedagogy. I knew all the right things to do, yet didn't execute them as well as I would have wanted to. After watching my video a few times, I can pick out some obvious missteps.





Firstly I noticed the volume of my voice, which we've discussed every class, so I am a bit disappointed I didn't project the way I should have. There are some times that the camera does not pick up what I'm saying clearly, and the camera was not a very far distance from me. To see a full transcript of my lesson click here.


Besides the volume of my voice, I think I need a bit more confidence and enthusiasm. Although I'm working with my fellow classmates, it is important to practice enthusiasm and passion for what I'm doing to prepare for teaching younger kids. I also used plenty of "um's" when I began. Also starting time and giving direction took too long for a 5 minute lesson. I didn't get all of the students moving until 1:20 into the lesson. To see a time coding form click here.  It is important to be clear with directions and demonstration, but ultimately you want to have your students have as much contact with the ball as many times as possible in a short amount of time.



I think my progression from one knee to standing was successful. Only one exception is that we had an odd number so I partnered up with a student. This lead to some lack of attention to other students by me, and having Jake stand still while I watched other students. I should have put him in a group of three or had him practice bump passes off the wall or bleachers to get the most repetition and least standing. Also with positive feedback I should have used specific names and pointed out that they were doing well instead of just saying "good. good job, guys."

There is defiantly room for improvement on my teaching skills. I think having a video camera and feedback immediately after teaching is so helpful. I can see the things I do well, and fix the those I do poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment